Saturday, June 9, 2007

Why Wouldn't I?

This is a video for Blonde Redhead featuring Miranda July:



Miranda July is a total dream boat. There's also a great interview in the The Believer's music issue this month in which Ms. July interviews The Blow's Khaela Maricich. Sample dialogue:

KM: [in a normal speaking voice] If there’s something in the deli aisle that makes you cry / You know I’ll put my arm around you and walk you outside / through the sliding doors / Why would I mind?

MJ: OK, but you sing it much less flip. I love the “why would I mind?” part. It implies that someone else is saying “Do you mind doing this for me? Is this OK?” That’s the part that breaks my heart, because it’s very female to feel like that’s too much to ask.

KM: Yeah, yeah, totally.

MJ: Even in your fantasies there’s an implicit apology.


When I described "Sexuality" as an interest of this blog, I mostly meant that I would be discussing my crushes on obscure female celebrities of the diy art scene.

2 comments:

alicia bane said...

i was thinking about the movie "me and you and everyone we know" the other day, and i realized that the reason i didn't like the movie that much was just because of miranda july's character. when i thought about the movie without her, it was really good. she just annoyed me with the free spiritedness.

she wrote that movie too, didn't she?

Eryk said...

Wrote, directed, and was totally hot in, yes.

Here is the thing about Miranda July: she narrated a movie called "The Subconscious Art of Grafitti Removal," which was about how the pale colors of mismatched paint used to cover up graffiti were emerging as an art form; she runs the website Learning to love you more, which are art projests and the like which people can make at home, document it, and post to the Website.

She's awesome to the max. You are not the first person to comment on her being annoying in MANDY+EWK, though. I feel like there's something about that character that bugs people, but I don't think it's actually a bad thing.