Thursday, July 3, 2008

Guy Maddin is not married to Madonna.



I've been a fan of Guy Maddin's work since I saw The Saddest Music in the World, a film which is part David Lynch, part Kids in the Hall doing a parody of David Lynch and part McSweeney's Melodrama.

I regret to say, though, that I thought the picture was a fluke result of Madonna's boy-toy director, Guy Richie.

Guy Richie is not Guy Maddin. Guy Maddin is awesome, and makes documentaries about Winnipeg that are kind of full of half-lies, and he made this video, Sombra Dolorosa, which is only 4 minutes long (7 minutes in France, according to IMDB).

For four minutes, you could just watch the damn thing, so I'm not gonna explain it beyond repeating: part David Lynch, part Kids in the Hall doing a parody of David Lynch and part McSweeney's Melodrama.


No comments: